Station opened - 3rd May 1858 (As Burnham)
Burnham on Sea - 12th July 1920
Station closed to scheduled passenger traffic - 29th October
Station closed to excursion traffic - 8th September 1962
Station closed to goods traffic - 20th May 1963
Grid Ref: 182 ST 305488
|The extension from Highbridge
to Burnham was opened in May 1858 under the Somerset Central Railway.
Although being the northern terminus of the branch from
Evercreech Junction, the station had a through platform, as the line
extended a short distance to the end of the adjacent jetty where
ferry services to South Wales operated until 1888, and until the early
1900s was also used to launch the local lifeboat. The western end of the
platform was covered by an all over roof.
Due to the increase in excursion traffic to the town, a new, longer platform was constructed on the southern side of the line to cope with the extra number of carriages.
There was brick built goods shed and a couple of sidings on the northern side of the station
The station and goods area was controlled by a small wooden 4 lever signal box at the eastern end of the north platform.
About 3/4 of a mile to the east of the station, on the
southern side of the line were two private sidings. These were for the
'Apex' and 'Colthurst & Symons' brick and tile works.
The station was closed to scheduled passenger traffic in October 1951, but remained open for excursion traffic until September 1962. Goods trains still continued to use the station until May of the following year.
Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Monday October 25, 2010