Edington Jcn

Station opened - 1856. (As Edington Road)

Renamings -

Edington Junction - 21 July 1890
Edington Burtle - 8th June 1953

Station closed to passengers - 7 March 1966
Station closed to goods - 13th July 1964

Grid Ref: 182 ST 392428

When the station was first opened by the Somerset Central Railway in 1856 it consisted of a single platform on the southern side of the single line. The name was changed to Edington Junction on the 21st of July 1890 when the short single line branch to Bridgwater was opened. The line from Bridgwater joined the main line to Burnham just to the west of the station, which now had two platforms, the up being an island platform with the bay being used for the branch traffic.
In 1899 two sidings were added to the station area to cope with the increase in traffic the branch had created.

The junction was controlled by a 39 lever signal box situated at the Western end of the up platform. After the closing of the box in 1956, ground frames were provided to control the remaining goods siding and crossing gates.

The branch was to be fairly short lived, closing to passengers in December 1952 and goods in the October of 1954. In February 1956 the down platform, platform loop, and sidings were closed, with just the goods shed siding remaining.

Edington Jcn plan

PLAN OF EDINGTON JUNCTION 1921

[Back to Map] [Back To List] [Back To Somerset & Dorset Main Page]

Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007