Midsomer Norton

Station opened - 20th July 1874. (As Midsomer Norton)

Renamings -

Midsomer Norton & Welton - 16 October 1898
Midsomer Norton Upper - 26 September 1949
Midsomer Norton South - 25 September 1950

Station closed to passengers - 7 March 1966
Station closed to public goods - 15th June 1964

Grid Ref: 183 ST 664537

The station was situated just two miles from Radstock. It consisted of two platforms and a small goods yard at the southern end of the down platform. This contained just two sidings, one of which led to a small stone built goods shed.
The approach from the north was at a steep 1 in 50 gradient, easing to 1 in 300 through the station only to steepen again to 1 in 53.

S&D No. 58 heading south in 1932
S&D No. 58 heading south through the station in 1932.

The station was very well maintained, collecting many awards over the years for its gardens and general appearance.
The station area and goods yard was controlled from a 16 lever signal box situated alongside the up platform.

3F No.47316 (ex S&DJR No.25) and 7F No.53810
3F No.47316 (ex S&DJR No.25) and 7F No.53810 standing
outside the 16 lever signal box on the up platform in 1961.

Norton Hill Colliery

To the east of the station, over the Silver Street road bridge (No.48), there was a connection to the Norton Hill Colliery from the down line. This was opened in 1900. Additional sidings were laid in 1905 and 1907. In 1953 the colliery was modernised and new sidings laid.
The colliery finally closed in February 1966 with the loss of nearly 300 jobs.

For information on the colliery lines in the
Radstock area, see the Radstock page

[Back to Map] [Back To List] [Back To Somerset & Dorset Main Page]

Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007