Shillingstone

Station opened - 31st August 1863

Station closed to goods traffic - 5th April 1965
Station closed to passenger traffic - 7th March 1966

Grid Ref: 194 ST 825117

The small station, built just to the north east of the village, consisted of two platforms on a passing loop, this being the longest loop on the section between Templecombe & Blandford. The brick built station buildings were located on the up platform, with a small wooden shelter on the considerably longer down platform. The main buildings having a rather ornate awning.
The station never had electricity, using oil lamps for all its lighting.
There was a small goods yard located on the up side of the line, just North of the station. This had a small goods shed, loading dock and a 5 ton crane.
There was also a short siding just to the south of the station at the end of the passing loop on the down side.

Shillingstone Station c1910
Shillingstone Station looking north - c1910

The station area was controlled from a small wooden 16 lever signal box located at the northern end of the up platform.

There is now a project to restore the station to how it was in the early 1960's, incorporating a small museum & relaying a stretch of track and eventually running standard gauge trains.

For information on the Shillingstone Station Project visit
http://www.shillingstone.addr.com/

[Back to Map] [Back To List] [Back To Somerset & Dorset Main Page]

Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Tuesday October 09, 2007