Station opened - 15th March 1859 (As Wells)
Wells Priory Road - October 1883
Station closed to S&D passenger and goods traffic - 29th
Goods yard closed to G.W.R. goods traffic - 13th July 1964
Grid Ref: 182 & 183 ST 545453
|The Cathedral City of Wells was at one time served by
three stations. The S&Ds 'Priory Road' was the first to be built in 1859 by
the Somerset Central Railway, being at the end of the short five and a half
mile branch from Glastonbury. The next was
'Wells East Somerset' in 1862 owned by the East Somerset Railway from Witham,
and finally 'Wells (Tucker Street)' in 1870 from the Cheddar Valley & Yatton
Railway. In 1874 work started on converting the latter two companies broad
gauge lines to standard gauge. A couple of years later when the G.W.R. had
taken over these two companies lines, they had running rights over about two
hundred yards of S&D track to enable them to run through trains between
Yatton & Witham, passing through the S&D station.
The S&D station had a through platform leading on to the ex East Somerset Railway line towards Witham. The station was covered by an all over roof. There was also a short dock platform on the down side at the Western end of the station. All S&D trains terminated here and were then shunted into an adjacent siding to clear the through line for G.W.R. trains. The branch train being shunted back to the platform when ready for its return to Glastonbury.
The large goods yard was just to the north of the station area, access being gained by crossing the ex Cheddar Valley line coming in from Yatton. The yard consisted of a large stone built goods shed, cattle pens, loading docks and a timber yard.
The goods shed was dismantled in 1988 and re-built on the East Somerset Railway, and the office of this shed is at the S&DRT museum at Washford, on the West Somerset Railway.
There was a two road engine shed on the up side of the line on the approaches to the station from Glastonbury. This shed housed the locomotives required for the branch.
The whole S&D station and goods yard area was controlled by a brick 28 lever signal box situated on the down side of the line midway between the engine shed and the goods yard.
When the station was closed by the S&D in 1951 the goods sidings were still used by the Western Region of British Railways until final closure in 1964.
Simplified schematic plan of the rather complex track layout at Wells
Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007