Station opened - 1st June 1847 (Under the LSWR)
Opened to S&D trains - 1st November 1860
Station closed to S&D passenger trains - 11th July 1920
Station closed to S&D goods - 17th June 1933
Station closed to BR passengers - 4th May 1964
Station closed to BR goods - 28th February 1966
Grid Ref: 195 SY 017995
Built on a sharp curve, the station was
built as part of the original LSWR main line between London and Weymouth.
S&D trains to Broadstone
would have to reverse to complete their journey towards
& Bournemouth West.
When the main line to Weymouth was opened via Bournemouth and Poole the line became downgraded, serving only the local trains on the Salisbury and Ringwood lines.
The station area was controlled by a tall brick 29 lever signal box located on the up platform.
Grid Ref: 195 SY 018988
This is where the Somerset & Dorset line originally,
officially ended before the direct line from
Corfe Mullen Junction to Broadstone was
opened on the 14th of December 1885.
The junction was controlled by two signal boxes. One located at the throat of the junction controlling the LSWR line and junction, this closed in 1933 when the S&D line was closed. The other box controlling the start of the S&D single line towards Blandford. This box was located on the S&D line near the engine shed. This box closed on the 1st of April 1928.
Plan of Wimborne Junction
Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007