LOCOMOTIVES

The early Somerset & Dorset locomotive history is rather complicated to explain, as there were numerous re-boilerings, re-builds, re-numberings, and even re-issuing of numbers, especially in the early years of the company. Some locomotives were even traded in for new ones using the same numbers! I have listed here the original loco numbers as supplied new, along with any re-numbering information I have.

There are a few 'sketchy' areas within some of the early numbering/re-numbering - I am working on it!

The list below is shown in four sections, the first three sections showing the locomotives from a distinct period, the fourth details the locomotives actually built (or technically re-built) at Highbridge Works.

They are listed mainly in numerical order, however, with some newer locos receiving old previously issued numbers, the list is difficult to arrange at times.

 

Section 1 - The Early locomotives 1861-1875
1 - 7
 
2-4-0 tender locos built by George England & Co. in 1861.
Originally built for the Somerset Central Railway to take over the running of their own line from the Bristol & Exeter.
1,3,4 & 5 traded in to Fox, Walker & Co in part payment for the 0-6-0 saddle tanks (1 - 5) built in 1874 (see below).
2-4-0 No. 2
Re-numbering:
Nos. 6 & 7 became 26 & 27 (1876?), and then later 26A & 27A in 1881.
Nos. 26A & 27A were then rebuilt as 2-4-0 side tank locos (1884?).
1 - 9
 
0-6-0 saddle tank locos built by Fox, Walker & Co.
1 - 5 built in 1874/75, 6 -9 built in 1876.

Numerous re-builds, some converted to tender locos and side tanks.
No. 1 was converted to an 0-6-0 tender loco in 1888 and then re-converted to a saddle tank 20 years later in 1908.
No. 8 was rebuilt as a side tank loco in 1889, later in 1908 she was again rebuilt and converted into a tender loco.
8
 
2-4-0 tank loco built by George England & Co. in 1861.
Re-numbered to No.28 in 1876 & 28A in August 1881.
No. 8
No 28A was then re-built in 1883 as a 2-4-0 saddle tank as seen here.
In 1904 it was converted back to a 2-4-0T, and was finally scrapped in 1928.
9 + 10 2-4-0 tender locos built by George England & Co. in 1863.
These locos were eventually sold off in 1878.
11 2-4-0 tank loco built by George England & Co. in 1861.
No.11
Acquired by the S&D in 1863 for the Wells branch. It was nick-named 'Bluebottle'. Eventually transferred to the L&SWR around 1871.
11 - 14 2-4-0 tender locos built by George England & Co. in 1864.
These locos were eventually sold off in 1878.
15 + 16 2-4-0 tender locos built by The Vulcan Foundry in 1866 and originally numbered 19 + 20 (see below).
Re-numbered 15A & 16A respectively in 1891.
17 + 18 2-4-0 outside (double) framed tender locos built by George England & Co. in 1865.
Originally built for the South Eastern Railway, of Cudworth design, but sold instead to the S&D, by agreement of the SER due to them being surplus to requirements.
Both locomotives were re-numbered 17A & 18A respectively in 1891.
No.17 was again re-numbered as No.45 in 1895.
They both survived until January 1897 when they were scrapped.
19 2-4-0 tender loco Bought second-hand from George Reed in 1865.
This was bought by the company for £1,450 due to them not being able to accept delivery and pay for all the new locomotives currently being built by George England & Co. at the time.
19 + 20 2-4-0 tender locos built by The Vulcan Foundry in 1866.
The order was originally for 6 locos, but only 2 were actually delivered.
Re-numbered 15 + 16 respectively in 1873/74 (see above).
19 - 24 0-6-0 tender locos built by Fowler & Co. Leeds in 1874.
Built for the steeply graded Bath to Evercreech section of line.
These locos were re-boilered twice within their 55 year life, finally being withdrawn in 1927/28.
Section 2 - 'Johnson era' locomotives 1876-1905

10 - 14
Class C

0-4-4 tank locos built by the Avonside Engine Co. Bristol in 1877.
Designed at Derby and Built for the S&D main line Bath to Wimborne services. These were very similar to Johnsons 0-4-4T Midland Railway locomotives introduced in 1875. First introduced in 1873.
No.14 was re-numbered as No.14A in 1897.
(See also Nos.29 - 32 below)
14 - 18
Class A
4-4-0 tender locos built by The Midland Railway, Derby in 1891.
4-4-0 No. 15
From a painting by Victor Welch, 4-4-0 No.15 at Charlton Marshall.
No.18 was re-numbered as No.15 in 1928.
25 - 28
Class G
(Scottie)
0-6-0 tender locos built by the Vulcan Foundry 1881.
29 - 32
Class C
0-4-4 tank locos built by the Avonside Engine Co. Bristol in 1877.
Designed at Derby and Built for the S&D main line Bath to Wimborne services. These were very similar to Johnsons 0-4-4T Midland Railway locomotives introduced in 1875. First introduced in 1873.
Nos. 29 -31 were re-numbered 29A - 31A in 1926.
No. 32 was re-numbered 52 in 1928.
(See also Nos.10 - 14 above)
33 - 38
Class G
(Scottie)
0-6-0 tender locos built by Neilson & Co. in 1878.
Built for goods services.
39 - 44
Class G
(Scottie)
0-6-0 tender locos built by the Vulcan Foundry 1879 - 1890.
Nos. 40, 42 & 44 were re-numbered 67, 68 & 69 respectively in 1928.
45
Class 5
0-4-0 loco built by G. Slaughter & Co in 1852, bought by the S&D in 1882.
Re-numbered 45A in 1891, Withdrawn in 1895.
45
Class A
4-4-0 tender loco built by The Midland Railway, Derby in 1896/7.
(From the same batch as 67 + 68 below).
Re-numbered 18 in 1928.
46 - 51
Class G
(Scottie)
0-6-0 tender locos built by the Vulcan Foundry 1879 - 1890. (1884?)
Nos. 47 & 49 were re-numbered 70 & 71 respectively in 1928.
No. 50 was re-numbered 51 in 1928.
52 - 55
Class C
0-4-4 tank locos built by the Vulcan Foundry in 1884/5.
Similar to the first batch of 1877 (10-14 & 29-32 above), but built with cabs.
56 - 61
Class G
(Scottie)
0-6-0 locos built by the Vulcan Foundry in 1890.
Nos.56 - 61 were re-numbered to Nos.33 - 38 respectively in 1922.
62 - 66
Class H
(Bulldog)
0-6-0 tender locos built by The Midland Railway, Derby and delivered in 1896.
These were only standard Midland engines, designed by Johnson, built for the S&DJR.
67 + 68
Class A
4-4-0 tender locos built by The Midland Railway, Derby in 1896.
(From the same batch as No.45 above).
69 - 71
Class 69
4-4-0 tender locos built by The Midland Railway, Derby in 1903.
72 - 76
Class H
(Bulldog)
0-6-0 tender locos built by Neilson & Co. in 1896?, delivered in 1902?
From a batch of 60 built for the Midland Railway, The S&DJR being allocated the last 5 (These were, for some reason, delivered to Highbridge with S.D.J.R lettering and numbers but painted in Midland Red!)
No. 73
3F 0-6-0 No. 43218 near Cole in July 1959 - ex S&DJR No. 73.
Section 3 - 'Deeley and Fowler' classes 1906-1929
19 - 25
Class 3F
0-6-0 tank locos built by W. G. Bagnall Ltd in 1928/29, and delivered in 1929.
These were standard L.M.S.R. 3F 'Jinty' tanks that cost the S&D £3,500 each.
Bagnall works numbers were: 2358 - 2364.
No. 23 went on to become L.M.S. Nos. 7154 and 7314 and finally BR. No.47314 and was one of the two last ex SDJR locomotives in existence.
44 - 46
Class 2P
4-4-0 tender locos built by L.M.S. Derby in 1928.
No.634 (Formerly No.45) at Bath in 1930
No.45 (Seen here recently re-numbered 634) at Bath in 1930.
Note the old number plate above the new one on the smoke-box door.
57 - 61
Class 4F
0-6-0 tender locos built by Armstrong, Whitworth & Co. in 1922.
Re-numbering:
(LMS) to 4557-4561.
(BR) to 44557-44561.
67 - 69
Class 483
4-4-0 tender locos built by The Midland Railway, Derby in 1920/21.
Nos. 67 - 69 were re-numbered 41 - 43 respectively in 1928.
70 + 71
Class 483
4-4-0 tender locos built by The Midland Railway, Derby in 1914.
These locos replaced the earlier Nos. 70 & 71 from 1903, They were of a standard Midland design.
Nos. 70 & 71 were re-numbered 39 & 40 respectively in 1928.
77 + 78
Class 69
4-4-0 tender locos built by The Midland Railway, Derby in 1907/08.
Re-numbering:
(L.M.S. Nos. 320 & 321 respectively).
79 This number was never used by the S&D.
80 - 85
Class 7F
2-8-0 tender locos built by The Midland Railway, Derby in 1914.
Re-numbering:
(LMS 1930) to 9670-9675.
(LMS 1932) to 13800-13805.
(BR) to 53800-53805.
86 - 90
Class 7F
2-8-0 tender locos built by Robert Stephenson & Co. in 1925.
Re-numbering:
(LMS 1930) to 9676-9680.
(LMS 1932) to 13806-13810.
(BR) to 53806-53810.
101 + 102 0-4-0 Sentinel shunting locos built in 1929.
These were to replace the three saddle tanks built at Highbridge that were used on the Radstock Colliery branches. (see below).
Section 4 - Locomotives Built At Highbridge
25A

0-4-2 outside cylinder saddle tank loco built in 1885.
Withdrawn from service in 1929.

26A + 45A 0-4-0 outside cylinder saddle tank locos built in 1895.
These were technically rebuilds as they used many parts from older locomotives in their construction.
Built for shunting at the colliery branches around Radstock.
No.26A (re)built at Highbridge in 1895
No.26A (re)built at Highbridge in 1895.

My thanks to Russell Garner for information & assistance with this section.

Locomotive Livery Details

Up to 1875 Midland Dark Green.
1875 to 1883/84 Midland Light Green - with black edging and white lining.
1884/85 to 1886 Midland Red - with black edging and yellow lining.
1886 to 1930 Prussian Blue - for all locomotives - with black edging and yellow lining.
Buffer beams were 'vermilion', edged in black, again with yellow lining.
1914 to 1930 Unlined Black - For all goods locomotives, although exceptions did exist, with not all goods locos being painted black.

These details are fairly general. The dates have been obtained from three sources, with a couple of minor contradictions to the start and end dates of the early livery variations.

Some locos would have still had old liveries applied until being overhauled or repaired some years later than the dates above.

 

Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007